Chaos Carnival is a Chaos Engineering conference made up of speakers as well as attendees from worldwide with a diverse set of skills, personalities, and experiences. It is through these differences that our community experiences great successes and continued growth. When you're working with members of the community, this Code of Conduct will help steer your interactions and keep Chaos Carnival a positive, successful, and growing conference.
The Chaos Carnival community is open, considerate, and respectful. Behaviors that reinforce these values contribute to a positive environment, and include:
- Focusing on what is best for the community. We ' re respectful of the processes set forth in the community, and we work within them.
- Being respectful of differing viewpoints and experiences. We ' re receptive to constructive comments and criticism, as the experiences and skill sets of other members contribute to the whole of our efforts.
- Acknowledging time and effort. We ' re respectful of the volunteer efforts that permeate the Chaos Carnival conference. We ' re thoughtful when addressing the efforts of others, keeping in mind that often times the labor was completed simply for the good of the community.
- Being open. Members of the community are open to collaboration, whether it ' s on patches, problems, or otherwise.
- Showing empathy towards other community members. We ' re attentive in our communications, whether in person or online, and we ' re tactful when approaching differing views.
- Using welcoming and inclusive language. We ' re accepting of all who wish to take part in our activities, fostering an environment where anyone can participate and everyone can make a difference.
- Being considerate. Members of the community are considerate of their peers -- other Conf42 users.
- Being respectful. We ' re respectful of others, their positions, their skills, their commitments, and their efforts.
- Gracefully accepting constructive criticism. When we disagree, we are courteous in raising our issues.
Every member of our community has the right to have their identity respected. The Chaos Carnival is a conference dedicated to providing a positive experience for everyone, regardless of age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, ethnicity, nationality, race, or religion (or lack thereof), education, or socioeconomic status.
Examples of unacceptable behavior by participants include:
- Harassment of any co-participants in any form
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking or spamming
- Logging or taking screenshots of online activity for harassment purposes
- Publishing other’s private information, such as a physical or electronic address, without explicit permission
- Violent threats or language directed against another person
- Incitement of violence or harassment towards any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm
- Creating additional online accounts in order to harass another person or circumvent a ban
- Sexual language and imagery in online communities or in any conference venue, including talks
- Insults put-downs, or jokes that are based upon stereotypes, that are exclusionary, or that hold others up for ridicule
- Excessive swearing
- Unwelcome sexual attention or advances
- Unwelcome physical contact, including simulated physical contact (eg, textual descriptions like hug or backrub) without consent or after a request to stop
- A pattern of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting/assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others.
- Sustained disruption of online community discussions, in-person presentations, or other in-person events
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease
- Other conduct that is inappropriate for a professional audience including people of many different backgrounds
Community members asked to stop any inappropriate behavior are expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in behavior that violates this Code of Conduct, the Chaos Carnival organizers may take any action they deem appropriate, including warning the offender or permanent expulsion from the conference.
Thank you for helping make this a welcoming and insightful conference for everyone.
This Code of Conduct applies to the following people at Chaos Carnival:
- Workshop presenters
- Booth staff
- Everyone else involved in any capacity in the events
The Code of Conduct applies in the following event spaces, including:
- Airmeet Platform
- Sponsor Booths
- Slack channels for Chaos Carnival
- Mailing lists
The Code of Conduct applies to interactions with official event accounts on social media spaces and phone applications, including:
- social media interactions on platforms such as LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and YouTube
- comments made on event video hosting services
- comments made on the official event hashtag or panel hashtags
This Code of Conduct applies to the following online spaces:
- harness.io website
- Harness Slack
- Chaos Carnival YouTube channel
- any other online space administered for the purposes of Chaos Carnival
If you believe that someone is violating the code of conduct, or have any other concerns, please contact the organizers of Chaos Carnival immediately. Write an email at firstname.lastname@example.org for grievance address